Penang Visitor FAQ answers the many questions that visitors to this island ask me. It is a big joy for us to have visitors coming to Penang. Of course you may have a thousand questions which I try to answer as well as I can through this website. As many visitor ask the same questions, I have put together a list of the most frequently asked questions. I thought these may be helpful to you.
1. I'll be arriving in Penang by plane. Are there any public transport to go to the city?
Yes please, you can either take the taxi or the bus. Here's the information for taking the bus from Penang Airport.
2. Can you tell me which bus to take to go to X from Y in Penang?
This is what you can do. Go through the alphabetical List of Sights I've described. If you're visiting a popular sight, most likely I may have described it before. Do a search (ctrl+F) for X and Y. Find out where X and Y are located, such as the road or place name. Often I have listed out the buses that pass that way. If I don't, please go to the Rapid Penang Bus Routes page. Search for the location/road where X or Y are located.
4. Is it safe to explore George Town alone? It is absolutely safe to do that, even at night. Of course, you should be wary of strangers, as you would in any city.
5. Can you book for me a hotel on ... Sorry, I am not a travel agent, so please book your accommodation yourself.
6. Can you show me around? I do not show visitors around, but hand the duties to a bunch of licensed tour guides. Their services are managed by a tour coordinator who will craft a tour based on your requirements. To learn more, read this page, or fill up this form to get in touch with Rose, the Penang Tour Guides coordinator.
8. I cannot find "Weld Quay Ferry & Bus Terminal" signaged on the buses. All buses heading to the Weld Quay Ferry & Bus Terminal are signaged "Jetty".
9. I shall be taking an express bus from Kuala Lumpur to Penang. I am told the bus terminal is in Sungai Nibong. Is that in the city? The Sungai Nibong Express Bus Terminal is a distance from George Town. There are however a number of buses heading to town, just look for those signaged Komtar or Jetty. The taxi stand is also right outside the express bus terminal, so you can also hop into a taxi to take you downtown or anywhere else.
10. I am planning to drive. Where can I rent a car?
There are car rental counters at the Penang International Airport arrivals hall. Parking in most places on Penang Island is chargeable using parking coupons, which you can buy at selected newsagents and 7-Eleven outlets. Parking is 40 sen per half hour (as of November 2016). Within George Town, particularly during office hours, parking space is almost next to impossible to find (so you may wind up going round and round looking for a place to park). Within downtown George Town, leaving your car in a no parking area may result in it being clamped or towed away.
Thank you for using my website!
Hello and thank you for reading this page. My name is Tim. I wrote this page to compile what I discover, for my own knowledge, and also to share it with people who might find it useful. It is part of three inter-connected websites: Penang Travel Tips, TimothyTye.com and Timothy Property Mart.
I am a real estate agent, food blogger, amateur historian and travel author. This website is an encyclopedia as well as a business directory. As a real estate agent, I help people buy, sell, rent and let properties. If you have a property to sell or rent in Penang, Kuala Lumpur, Johor Bahru, Ipoh or Malacca, my team of realtors and I can help you. If you operate a restaurant, can write about your food and promote your restaurant. I can also help you engage other food bloggers to write about your food. And finally, if you are operating a business anywhere in Malaysia, you can add your shop to this website and be found by lots of customers. All you need to do is contact me with what you need.