Penang Visitor FAQ answers the many questions that visitors to this island ask me. It is a big joy for us to have visitors coming to Penang. Of course you may have a thousand questions which I try to answer as well as I can through this website. As many visitor ask the same questions, I have put together a list of the most frequently asked questions. I thought these may be helpful to you.
1. I'll be arriving in Penang by plane. Are there any public transport to go to the city?
Yes please, you can either take the taxi or the bus. Here's the information for taking the bus from Penang Airport.
2. Can you tell me which bus to take to go to X from Y in Penang?
This is what you can do. Go through the alphabetical List of Sights I've described. If you're visiting a popular sight, most likely I may have described it before. Do a search (ctrl+F) for X and Y. Find out where X and Y are located, such as the road or place name. Often I have listed out the buses that pass that way. If I don't, please go to the Rapid Penang Bus Routes page. Search for the location/road where X or Y are located.
4. Is it safe to explore George Town alone? It is absolutely safe to do that, even at night. Of course, you should be wary of strangers, as you would in any city.
5. Can you book for me a hotel on ... Sorry, I am not a travel agent, so please book your accommodation yourself.
6. Can you show me around? I do not show visitors around, but hand the duties to a bunch of licensed tour guides. Their services are managed by a tour coordinator who will craft a tour based on your requirements. To learn more, read this page, or fill up this form to get in touch with Rose, the Penang Tour Guides coordinator.
8. I cannot find "Weld Quay Ferry & Bus Terminal" signaged on the buses. All buses heading to the Weld Quay Ferry & Bus Terminal are signaged "Jetty".
9. I shall be taking an express bus from Kuala Lumpur to Penang. I am told the bus terminal is in Sungai Nibong. Is that in the city? The Sungai Nibong Express Bus Terminal is a distance from George Town. There are however a number of buses heading to town, just look for those signaged Komtar or Jetty. The taxi stand is also right outside the express bus terminal, so you can also hop into a taxi to take you downtown or anywhere else.
10. I am planning to drive. Where can I rent a car?
There are car rental counters at the Penang International Airport arrivals hall. Parking in most places on Penang Island is chargeable using parking coupons, which you can buy at selected newsagents and 7-Eleven outlets. Parking is 40 sen per half hour (as of November 2016). Within George Town, particularly during office hours, parking space is almost next to impossible to find (so you may wind up going round and round looking for a place to park). Within downtown George Town, leaving your car in a no parking area may result in it being clamped or towed away.
Add your business to my website
This website of mine is a unique directory of places and businesses. If you operate a business anywhere in Malaysia or Singapore, you may contact me to add your business/shop in. It only requires a one-time fee, and you may opt for either "contact listing only" or "full webpage of your own". As this website gets a lot of organic traffic, you will enjoy lots of exposure from people looking for the products and services that you provide. To find out more about adding your business/shop to this site, CONTACT ME
If you're travelling somewhere, look for accommodation using the Search Hotel engine below. It helps you find the online booking site that offers the best rates for the room you want.
Looking for a book? Get it from Book Depository with free delivery worldwide!
I have just discovered Book Depository, a subsidiary of Amazon.com, and I love it. This is where you can buy books and have them sent to you. But unlike Amazon, when you purchase using Book Depository, you enjoy free delivery worldwide. Give it a try today!
Here's a list of the latest pages I have added or updated on my website.
Take the CAT Free Feeder Bus
What's the best way to see Penang on a budget? Take the bus! In Penang, there are at least 12 absolutely FREE bus routes which cover almost every major neighbourhood on Penang Island and Penang Mainland. All you need to do is hop aboard!
Thank you for visiting my website. I started it in 2003, and today it has over twenty thousand pages of information. My name is Timothy Tye. I would be very pleased if you enjoy the information I have put together.
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's message to all who need it, anywhere in the world. If you are open to hearing it, please read God's Good News to You.