Penang Visitor FAQ answers the many questions that visitors to this island ask me. It is a big joy for us to have visitors coming to Penang. Of course you may have a thousand questions which I try to answer as well as I can through this website. As many visitor ask the same questions, I have put together a list of the most frequently asked questions. I thought these may be helpful to you.
1. I'll be arriving in Penang by plane. Are there any public transport to go to the city?
Yes please, you can either take the taxi or the bus. Here's the information for taking the bus from Penang Airport.
2. Can you tell me which bus to take to go to X from Y in Penang?
This is what you can do. Go through the alphabetical List of Sights I've described. If you're visiting a popular sight, most likely I may have described it before. Do a search (ctrl+F) for X and Y. Find out where X and Y are located, such as the road or place name. Often I have listed out the buses that pass that way. If I don't, please go to the Rapid Penang Bus Routes page. Search for the location/road where X or Y are located.
4. Is it safe to explore George Town alone? It is absolutely safe to do that, even at night. Of course, you should be wary of strangers, as you would in any city.
5. Can you book for me a hotel on ... Sorry, I am not a travel agent, so please book your accommodation yourself.
6. Can you show me around? I do not show visitors around, but hand the duties to a bunch of licensed tour guides. Their services are managed by a tour coordinator who will craft a tour based on your requirements. To learn more, read this page, or fill up this form to get in touch with Rose, the Penang Tour Guides coordinator.
8. I cannot find "Weld Quay Ferry & Bus Terminal" signaged on the buses. All buses heading to the Weld Quay Ferry & Bus Terminal are signaged "Jetty".
9. I shall be taking an express bus from Kuala Lumpur to Penang. I am told the bus terminal is in Sungai Nibong. Is that in the city? The Sungai Nibong Express Bus Terminal is a distance from George Town. There are however a number of buses heading to town, just look for those signaged Komtar or Jetty. The taxi stand is also right outside the express bus terminal, so you can also hop into a taxi to take you downtown or anywhere else.
10. I am planning to drive. Where can I rent a car?
There are car rental counters at the Penang International Airport arrivals hall. Parking in most places on Penang Island is chargeable using parking coupons, which you can buy at selected newsagents and 7-Eleven outlets. Parking is 40 sen per half hour (as of November 2016). Within George Town, particularly during office hours, parking space is almost next to impossible to find (so you may wind up going round and round looking for a place to park). Within downtown George Town, leaving your car in a no parking area may result in it being clamped or towed away.
Add your shop/business to this website
The Penang Travel Tips website is a huge website that documents everything in Penang. On top of the hundreds of streets and tourist attractions, I also add in hundreds of shops and businesses.
If you operate a shop business in Penang, or anywhere in Malaysia or Singapore, contact me to add your business/shop into my website. It only a one-time fee, and your shop/business will be listed by location and category, helping your would-be customers find you. To find out more, CONTACT ME
Visiting Penang? Find the lowest hotel room rates here!
Use our search engine to compare room rates from different hotel booking websites, to find the one that's lowest.
If you're travelling somewhere, use our online engine to find the online booking site that offers you the best room rates.
Book your hotel room here
If you're coming to Penang, book your hotel room online with Agoda. Agoda offers the best prices on 2,000,000+ properties worldwide. Start here.
Local Guided Tours of Penang
If you are coming to Penang and need someone to show you around, I can arrange for you a licensed tour guide to take you around. Guides charge a fixed fee of RM360 for taking a small group of up to 10 people on 4-hour walking tours. Walking tours exceeding 4 hours is charged an additional RM90 per hour. Tours are tailored to guest requirement. For more details, contact tour coordinator. Other types of tours also available. For details, click here.
Looking for a book? Get it from Book Depository with free delivery worldwide!
I have just discovered Book Depository, a subsidiary of Amazon.com, and I love it. This is where you can buy books and have them sent to you. But unlike Amazon, when you purchase using Book Depository, you enjoy free delivery worldwide. Give it a try today!
What's the best way to see Penang on a budget? Take the bus! In Penang, there are at least 12 absolutely FREE bus routes which cover almost every major neighbourhood on Penang Island and Penang Mainland. All you need to do is hop aboard!
Thank you for visiting my website. I started it in 2003, and today it has over twenty thousand pages of information. My name is Timothy Tye. I would be very pleased if you enjoy the information I have put together.
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's message to all who need it, anywhere in the world. If you are open to hearing it, please read God's Good News to You.