Rapid Penang Bus Routes
(3 August, 2013)
Rapid Penang Bus Routes
is your guide to taking the bus in Penang. Not only are all the Rapid Penang bus routes explained in detail, I am now also updating each page to show you the location of sights along the way. This helps you determine which bus to take. I need to inform you in advance (and to apologize) that although I try to keep the information updated from time to time, there may be changes made to the bus route that is not to my knowledge. I will update the information from time to time whenever I learn of those changes.
Rapid Passport to Unlimited Free Rides for a Week
If you are visiting Penang for a short period of time, you do well to get the Rapid Passport. The Rapid Passport is a smartcards that allow you unlimited travel on the Rapid Penang buses for a period of one week. These "Passports" can be purchased at RM30 per passenger at the following locations:
- All Rapid Penang kiosks
- Komtar Bus Terminal
- Weld Quay Bus Terminal
- Bukit Jambul Bus Hub
- Penang Sentral
- Rapid Penang Headquarters
on Lorong Kulit
If you encounter difficulties in obtaining the Passport, you may call Rapid Penang at 04 238 1212.
Rapid Penang Routes
On this page, I provide a general idea of each bus route. To know more about the route, click on the link, to get more information about the route, along with detailed maps of the route.
- CAT: Central Area Transit Free Buses
This is a free bus service that loops around the inner city of George Town. It is a great way to explore the heritage sites within George Town on a shoestring budget. There are designated numbered bus stops for this bus.
- PTL: Pulau Tikus Loop Free Shuttle Bus
This is a free bus service in the Pulau Tikus neighbourhood of George Town.
- BEST: Bridge Express Shuttle Transit
This is a park-and-ride bus service between Seberang Perai and Bayan Lepas. It is intended for transporting commuters to work at the Bayan Lepas Free Industrial Zone. From 20 July, 2015, commuters pay a fee of RM50 per month for using this service.
- Bus 10: Jetty to Botanic Gardens
Bus 10 takes you across George Town, from the Jetty to the Botanic Gardens. Along the way, you pass through the city centre and makes a detour to the Gurney Roundabout (so, you can take it to Gurney Drive).
- Bus 11: Jetty to Jalan Tan Sri Teh Ewe Lim
Bus 11 is a city route that is used mostly by locals commuting to work. It connects the Jetty to the densely populated suburbs of George Town such as Dato Kramat, Jelutong and Green Lane.
- Bus 12: Jetty to Bandar Sri Pinang
Bus 12 is a city route covering the densely populated southern coastal suburbs of George Town, such as Macallum Street Ghaut and Bandar Sri Pinang.
- Bus 13: Tesco Penang to Paya Terubong
Bus 13 is a suburb route covering the densely populated townships on the outskirts of George Town.
- Bus 101: Jetty to Teluk Bahang
Bus 101 covers the northern coast of Penang Island. From the Jetty, it passes through the northern suburb of Pulau Tikus before continuing to Tanjong Tokong, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi and Teluk Bahang, all the way gate of the Penang National Park. If you are visiting the beaches of the north coast, this is the route to take.
- Bus 102: Penang International Airport to Teluk Bahang
Bus 102 starts at the Penang International Airport and ends at the Teluk Bahang roundabout. This is the ideal bus for tourists who book their accommodation at the north coast beach hotels. For the convenience of tourists, the bus also makes stops at the Sungai Nibong Express Bus Terminal (where you can take long-distance buses to other states) and the Komtar Bus Interchange.
- Bus 103: Komtar to Bagan Jermal
Bus 103 is a city route covering the northern suburbs of George Town, from Komtar in the city centre to Bagan Jermal and back, passing through Pulau Tikus.
- Bus 104: Tanjung Bungah to Komtar via Northam Road
Bus 104 connects the city centre with the northern residential suburb of Tanjung Bungah. Parts of its route overlaps that of 101, the difference being, Bus 104 enters the minor roads of Tanjung Bungah (and go no further than that), while Bus 101 stays on the main road (and goes all the way to Teluk Bahang).
- Bus 201: Jetty to Paya Terubong via Air Itam
Bus 201 is a commuter bus route used mostly by the locals. It connects the Jetty to the working class neighbourhoods of Air Itam and Paya Terubong, in the heart of Penang Island.
- Bus 202: Jetty to Paya Terubong via Farlim
Bus 202 is a commuter bus route used mostly by the locals. It is similar to Bus 201, except that, it goes through Farlim instead of Air Itam Village.
- Bus 203: Jetty to Air Itam via Farlim
Bus 203 is a commuter bus route used mostly by the locals. It passes through both Farlim and Air Itam Village (which buses 201 and 202 don't).
- Bus 204: Jetty to Penang Hill Lower Station
Bus 204 starts at the Jetty and ends at the Penang Hill Lower Station roundabout. This is the bus to take if you are on your way up Penang Hill.
- Bus 206: Tesco Penang to Jetty
Bus 206 bridges the central and southern suburbs of George Town. It passes the densely populated Jelutong and Green Lane suburbs to end at Tesco Penang in Gelugor.
- Bus 301: Jetty to Relau via Sungai Dua
Bus 301 serves the south-central neighbourhoods of Penang Island. It starts at the Jetty and ends at the fast-developing suburb of Relau.
- Bus 302: Jetty to Batu Maung via Bukit Gambir
Bus 302 covers the eastern seaboard of Penang Island. This rather lengthy route passes through the fast-developing suburbs of Relau, Sungai Ara and Bayan Lepas, within sight of the airport but doesn't stop there.
- Bus 303: Jetty to Bukit Gedung
Bus 303 also covers the eastern seaboard of Penang Island, but takes on a different and slightly shorter route to Bus 302. It passes through Bayan Baru and end at the working-class neighbourhood of Bukit Gedung.
- Bus 304: Bukit Gedung to Gurney Drive
Bus 304 goes from Bukit Gedung to Gurney Drive, linking the southern neighbourhoods of George Town with the shopping and food precinct of Gurney Drive.
- Bus 305: Sungai Nibong to Teluk Tempoyak via Batu Maung
- Bus 306: Penang International Airport to Penang General Hospital
- Bus 307: Jetty to Batu Maung via Bayan Baru
- Bus 308: Sungai Nibong to Gertak Sanggul
Bus 309: Bukit Gedung to Queensbay Mall: Presently non operational route.
- Bus 401: Jetty to Balik Pulau via Bayan Baru
- Bus 401E: Jetty to Balik Pulau via Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway
- Bus 403: Balik Pulau loop
- Bus 404: Balik Pulau to Pantai Aceh
- Bus 501: Balik Pulau to Teluk Bahang
- Bus 502: Pekan Genting to Jetty
- Bus 601: Butterworth to Kepala Batas
- Bus 602: Butterworth to Tasek Gelugor
- Bus 603: Butterworth to Kuala Muda
- Bus 604: Butterworth to Taman Desa Murni
- Bus 604A: Sungai Dua (Mainland) to Kepala Batas
- Bus 605: Butterworth to Permatang Tok Gelam
- Bus 606: Penaga to Bukit Mertajam
- Bus 608: Butterworth to Penaga
- Bus 610: Kepala Batas to Tasek Gelugor
- Bus 701: Butterworth to Bukit Mertajam via Jalan Baru
- Bus 702: Butterworth to Bukit Mertajam via Permatang Pauh
- Bus 703: Butterworth to Seberang Jaya
- Bus 707: Taman Pelangi to Bukit Mertajam
- Bus 708: Bukit Mertajam to Junjong, Kedah
- Bus 709: Butterworth to Machang Bubuk
- Bus 801: Butterworth to Nibong Tebal
- Bus 802: Bukit Mertajam to Nibong Tebal
- Bus 803: Nibong Tebal loop
Other Services by Rapid Penang
Vans for the transportation of people with disability.Details
Rapid Penang Double Decker BusDetails
Useful Information For Taking the Bus in Penang
List of Businesses in the Directory
Taking the bus from Penang AirportDetails
Taking the bus to sightsee PenangDetails
Penang Travel Tips puts the Whole Wide World at Your Fingertips!
Penang Travel Tips
is not just about Penang, nor just about Malaysia - it's about the world wide world. It's my own treasure trove of travel information, for the benefit of anybody who might need it.
Our Special Feature on Penang Travel Tips this week is Kuala Lumpur Travel Tips
. Get to know Kuala Lumpur neighbourhood by neighbourhood through the map below.
Quick Links for the Busy Traveler
- Book Long Distance Bus Tickets in Malaysia and Singapore
- Find A Hotel Room
Advertise on this website
Yes, you can advertise your business on this website. You can put an ad on a specific page or across all the pages, so that readers of this website will discover your business. contact me here.
All About Me
Let me take a moment to thank you for visiting my website, Penang Travel Tips. Since I started it in 2003, it has grown to become the
online encyclopedia of Penang. My name is Timothy Tye
, and I am one of the few full-time web authors. This website Penang Travel Tips
describes not just Penang, but all the places I am curious about. You can find information on all the major cities in Malaysia
, all the countries in Asia
, the Americas
, indeed the whole the world
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to every corner of the world so that it reaches every person who needs. To get in touch with me, simply submit the contact form
. Thanks for visiting and don't forget to follow me on Facebook
My Social Media Presence
To interact with me, LIKE ME
on Faceboook, or my Penang Travel Tips FB Page
and Places To Go FB Page
, and join any/all of my Facebook Pages and Groups including Penang Travel Tips FB Group
, Exploring Malaysia
, Big World Out There
, My Little Bookshelf
, Learn Penang Hokkien
, Penang Street Art
, Penang Hawker Food
, Penang Restaurant Food
, Masa Masak
, Penang Residential Properties
and Armchair Traveler
Copyright © 2003-2017 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.