Macallum Street Ghaut, George Town, Penang
Macallum Street Ghaut, as seen from Kompleks Pulau Mutiara Block 8A (25 January, 2013)
Macallum Street Ghaut is both a street as well as neighbourhood in George Town, Penang. The Macallum Street Ghaut area was created in the early 1980's as an extension of Macallum Street when land reclamation extended the shoreline outward. This enabled the served by Macallum Street Ghaut and Cecil Street Ghaut to be developed. Until then, both streets were paths that led to the swampy coast. (Much of the eastern coastline of Penang Island was lined with mangrove swamps which were progressively cleared, though the mangrove reestablishes itself in some places.)
The Macallum Street Ghaut neighbourhood was developed in stages with low- to medium-cost apartments. Among the earliest were the PDC Flats namely blocks 346, 349, 350, 352 and 354, located between Macallum Street Ghaut and Cecil Street Ghaut. Facing Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway are the Macallum Flats block 1, 2 and 3.
Macallum Street Ghaut, as seen from street level (25 January, 2013)
A more recent development in the Macallum Street Ghaut area is a high-rise apartment complex known as Pelangi Apartment. It comprises blocks 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 along Lintang Macallum 2, and Blocks 358, 360 and 362 at Lintang Macallum 1, near the mouth of Sungai Pinang. There is also a small area of landed low-cost houses accessed via Pintasan Cecil.
The newest development is presently the Sri Saujana Apartment blocks 42A, 42B and 43C, occupying part of the area that was the former Koay Jetty.
In addition to the residential property, there are also commercial properties at Macallum Street Ghaut. Perhaps the most prominent are Kompleks Pulau Mutiara, which houses the wholesale market relocated from Sia Boey, and Harbour Trade Centre.
Sri Saujana Commercial Block, Macallum Street Ghaut (25 January, 2013)
Sights in the Macallum Street Ghaut neighbourhood
- Harbour Trade Centre
- Hong San Keong Temple
- Kompleks Pulau Mutiara
- Medicine Buddha Shrine Hall (Pu Ai Community Service Centre)
- Nine Emperor Gods Temple
- San Jiang Temple
View inside Sri Saujana Apartment block (25 January, 2013)
Eateries in the Macallum Street Ghaut area
- Each a Cup
- Kedai Kopi QB
- Kim Lye Cafe
- Leong Seng Kopitiam
- Restoran Seven Star
- Ru Yi Cafe
- Sin Ban Leng Cafe
Apartments in the Macallum Street Ghaut area
- Macallum Street Ghaut PDC Flats
- Pangsapuri Pelangi
- Sri Saujana Apartment
School in the Macallum Street Ghaut area
- Li Tek Primary School
- Olympia College, Penang
Businesses at Macallum Street Ghaut
- 24 Xpress
- 98 Mart
- 99 Optics
- 101 Minimarket
- Abadi Gemilang Tuition Centre
- Akuarium Macallum
- Al Ameen Mart
- Arizona Internet Cafe
- Chee Khoon Printings Sdn Bhd
- E-Perfect Hair & Beauty Salon
- EC4U (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd (exterminator)
- Emay Hair Saloon
- Feel Hair Studio
- Impact Artworks Sticker Shop
- In-Style Hair Dressing
- JV Hair Saloon
- Kedai Gaharu Lean Heng Heong
- Kedai Kain Goh Huat (M) Sdn Bhd
- Kedai Serbaneka Saujana
- Kedai Ubat Looi Chiang Meng
- Kim Hong DIY Enterprise
- Klinik Bersatu
- Lily Style Hair Salon
- Lovings Dough
- Macallum Pharmacy
- P. Siva Enterprise Hair Saloon (barber)
- Pao Pao Mini Market
- Pasaraya Madina
- Pasaraya Senyum Mart
- Pasar Mini Majujaya
- Poh Kim Mini Market
- Pro Eyecare
- Public Bank
- Punitha Murugen Store
- Pusat Refleksologi Lapan Lapan
- Pusat Tuisyen Harapan Utama
- Pusat Tuisyen Ilmu Perkasa
- Serambi G Mart
- Seventh Hills Trading (dates trader)
- Sheng Pao Enterprise (water filters)
- Siang Yi Hang
- SKA Laundry Services
- SNR Internet Cafe
- Super Power BK Enterprise
- Tres Cut Hair Studio
- W Yuan Enterprise Laundry
- Wonder World Internet Cafe
- ZYZ Coin Laundry
Another view of Macallum Street Ghaut (25 January, 2013)
Gat Lebuh Macallum road sign (6 February, 2013)
Macallum Street Ghaut is served by Rapid Penang bus 303.
View Macallum Street Ghaut in a larger map
Hello and welcome to my website, Penang Travel Tips, yay! As you would expect, the articles on this website don't write themselves. Well, they are all written by me, Timothy Tye, based on my research and exploration of Penang.
I created it to compile everything that I know about Penang and to share it all with you. I hope my website provides you the information you are looking for, and that you will enjoy browsing and reading it! If you found any errors, please let me know so that I can correct it. For all correspondences, click here to contact me. Thank you and have a nice day!
- Rapid Penang Bus Routes: This very useful page provides you all the information to take the public bus to visit any place in Penang.
- Arriving by plane: Essential information for independent travelers (those not following a tour package) on taking the bus or taxi upon arrival at Penang International Airport.
- Taking the Taxi: Taxi stands can be found at all major shopping malls. You can also call a taxi by phone. Get the details here.
- Personal Guided Tours of Penang: If you like a licensed tour guide to show you around, get in touch with me and I'll arrange it for you. The fee is RM90 per hour. Payment for the first two hours collected upon booking.
- Hospitals in Penang: Penang is a major regional medical tourism destination. If you are planning to come here for therapy or treatment, find out about the various hospitals available.
- Penang Island Residential Property Guide: If you ever consider buying a residential property on Penang Island, read this guide before taking any action.
- Penang Visitor FAQ: Frequently asked questions of visitors planning their trip to Penang.
- Shopping malls of Penang: Penang has plenty of malls. Visitors often find that prices in Penang are often lower than back home. Get to know the malls in Penang.
- Ernest Zacharevic George Town Murals: The murals by a young Lithuanian artist, created for the 2012 George Town Festivals, has become the biggest tourist attraction in Penang. Get information and a full list of the murals that everybody loves to photograph!
Copyright © 2003-2014 Timothy Tye. All Rights Reserved.