View of Prima Prai Park in Perai
(11 September, 2015)
(GPS: 5.38778, 100.38162), (Traditional Chinese: 北賴; Simplified Chinese: 北赖; Pinyin: Běilài; Penang Hokkien
: Koay1 Kang4) also written Perai
in Malay, is a township that gave its name to Seberang Perai. Located in Seberang Perai Tengah
, Perai is a settlement along the southern bank of the Perai River
. In old 19th century maps, the settlement is spelled Prye.
Perai has been settled even earlier than Penang Island. When Francis Light
eyed Penang with interest, Chinese traders and farmers who were in Perai were gearing to move across the channel once the settlement is established. When Province Wellesley
was originally formed, the border between it and Kedah was the Prai River, which is why going acros the Prai River from Kedah
is going to "seberang Perai" in Malay, and "koay1 kang4" in Hokkien.
The settlement of Perai was named after the Perai River. The area which is defined as Perai is located around the estuary of the river. Much of it is mangrove swamp with large tracts having been cleared and developed.
Today Perai is best known for its industrial estate, which is the largest in northern Malaysia.
Location of sights in Prai on the map
Hotels in Perai
- Pearl View Hotel (GPS: 5.38283, 100.39234)
Sights in Perai
- Prai Market (demolished) (GPS: 5.3893, 100.37895)
- Malayan Sugar Manufacturing Company (GPS: 5.38661, 100.40238)
Shopping Malls and Hypermarkets in Perai
- Giant Hypermarket Prima Prai (GPS: 5.38586, 100.38244)
- Megamal Pinang (GPS: 5.37697, 100.39936)
- Mydin Wholesale Hypermarket Prai (GPS: 5.36884, 100.4147)
Commercial Properties in Perai
- Chai Leng Park (GPS: 5.38209, 100.39325)
Schools in Perai
- Sekolah Kebangsaan St Mark, Perai (GPS: 5.38645, 100.38067)
Neighbourhoods in Perai
- Bandar Perai Jaya
- Chai Leng Park
- Taman Inderawasih
- Taman Supreme
Places of Worship in Perai
- Gurdwara Sahib Perai (GPS: 5.38967, 100.38012)
- Masjid Jamek Kampung Setol (GPS: 5.37239, 100.40963)
- Masjid Jamek Perai (GPS: 5.38621, 100.38389)
- Prai Baptist Church (GPS: 5.38942, 100.38003)
- Sri Kalikaambal Temple (GPS: 5.38942, 100.38003)
- Sri Muniswarar Temple (GPS: 5.38035, 100.39505)
- Sri Selva Vinayagar Temple (GPS: 5.38847, 100.38102)
Parks in Perai
- Prima Prai Park (GPS: 5.38681, 100.37797)
Residential Properties in Perai
- Pangsapuri Perai Utama (GPS: 5.38618, 100.37871)
- Pangsapuri Setia Wira (GPS: 5.38581, 100.37937)
- Prai Inai Condominium (GPS: 5.38516, 100.38242)
Roads in Prai
- Jalan Baru
Bridges in Prai
- Prai River Bridge (GPS: 5.38958, 100.37638)
- Prai Railway Turnstile Bridge (GPS: 5.38958, 100.37638)
Villages in Prai
View of Perai at the approach of the Sungai Prai Bridge
- Kampung Main Road (GPS: 5.38615, 100.3843)
- Kampung Manis (GPS: 5.3899, 100.37823)
- Kampung Selut (GPS: 5.38958, 100.37638)
(15 April, 2006)
Exit the North-South Expressway at Exit 160 (Juru Interchange) to reach Perai. Alternatively, Exit 161 (Penang Bridge Interchange) and Exit 162 (Perai Interchange) will also get you there, depending on which part of Perai you are heading to.
Explore Malaysia with Penang Travel Tips
Penang Travel Tips is not just about Penang. You can get lots of useful information to explore the rest of Malaysia right here!
Penang Travel Tips puts the Whole Wide World at Your Fingertips!
Penang Travel Tips
is not just about Penang, nor just about Malaysia - it's about the world wide world. It's my own treasure trove of travel information, for the benefit of anybody who might need it.
Advertise on this website
To put an add on this website, contact me here.
Having a computer issue?
If your computer isn't performing up satisfactorily level, contact a technician to look at your computer issue
, if you live on Penang Island.
The Travel Tips Made In Penang
Hello and thank you for visiting Penang Travel Tips. My name is Timothy Tye
, and you are reading my personal online encyclopedia, created to share my knowledge with you. Penang Travel Tips
describes not just Penang, but all the places I am curious about.
You can find information on all the major cities in Malaysia
, including Kuala Lumpur
, Johor Bahru
, Alor Setar
, every state in Malaysia
, every state capital in Malaysia
, all the countries in Asia
, and eventually the rest of the world
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to every corner of the world so that it reaches every person who needs. To get in touch with me, simply submit the contact form
. Thanks for visiting and don't forget to follow me on Facebook
My Social Media Presence
To interact with me, LIKE ME
on Facebook, or LIKE any of my Facebook pages: Penang Travel Tips FB Page
and Places To Go FB Page
, and join any/all of my Facebook Pages and Groups including Penang Travel Tips FB Group
, Exploring Malaysia
, Big World Out There
, My Little Bookshelf
, Learn Penang Hokkien
, Penang Street Art
, Penang Hawker Food
, Penang Restaurant Food
, Masa Masak
, Penang Residential Properties
and Armchair Traveler
Copyright © 2003-2017 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.