Pasembur Stalls in Penang
Pasembur (10 May, 2008)
Penang Pasembur is a spicy salad dish that are usually sold by Indian Muslims and occasionally by Chinese hawkers as well. The Indian version is often called Mamak Rojak while the Chinese version is often called Cheh3 Hoo2. The name cheh hoo means "raw fish", although presently, the only raw "fish" in the dish is likely to be the jellyfish, which is also often poached.
Pasembur is a popular Penang hawker food usually taken as a side dish during lunch and dinner time. It comprises shredded cucumber, hong kuak (Chinese turnip), potatoes, taukua (beancurd), bean sprout, along with hae chi (prawn fritters), niau-choo chi (flour-batter fritters, literally meaning "mouse fritters"), and sliced boiled egg. Some stalls also garnish it with poached jellyfish. The whole salad dish is then covered in a spicy sauce made from sweet potato.
Ingredients of Pasembur:
- Chinese turnip
- bean sprout
- prawn fritters
- flour-batter fritters
- boiled egg
- poached jellyfish
- sweet potato gravy
- chilli paste
Indian Pasembur, Seng Lee Cafe (6 April, 2014)
You can find pasembur stalls all over Penang Island. Many of these sell mee goreng and mee rebus as well, though the Chinese pasembur stalls sell only pasembur. I pinpoint the stalls that I can recall on this food map below, and hope to add to it whenever I come across more.
View Pasembur Stalls in Penang in a larger map
Where to find Pasembur Stalls in Penang
Pasembur is available at the following locations in Penang:
- Seng Lee Cafe I like it very much too
- Cecil Street Market Hawker Centre
- Batu Lanchang Hawker Centre
- Restoran Kapitan Queensbay
- New World Park
- Selera Sim, Jalan Tengah
- Kedai Kopi Seow Fong Lye, Macalister Lane
- Restoran Kapitan Chulia Street
- Restoran Sri Moorthy, Farlim
- Astaka Batu Maung
- Balik Pulau Hawker Centre My Favourite
- Restoran Bee Hooi, Burmah Road, Pulau Tikus
- Gurney Drive Hawker Centre, Persiaran Gurney
- Northam Beach Cafe, Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah
Join the Penang Hawker Food Facebook Group to get tips and share your own knowledge of Penang Hawker Food!
Hello and welcome to my website, Penang Travel Tips, yay! As you would expect, the articles on this website don't write themselves. Well, they are all written by me, Timothy Tye, based on my research and exploration of Penang.
I created it to compile everything that I know about Penang and to share it all with you. I hope my website provides you the information you are looking for, and that you will enjoy browsing and reading it! If you found any errors, please let me know so that I can correct it. For all correspondences, click here to contact me. Thank you and have a nice day!
- Rapid Penang Bus Routes: This very useful page provides you all the information to take the public bus to visit any place in Penang.
- Arriving by plane: Essential information for independent travelers (those not following a tour package) on taking the bus or taxi upon arrival at Penang International Airport.
- Taking the Taxi: Taxi stands can be found at all major shopping malls. You can also call a taxi by phone. Get the details here.
- Personal Guided Tours of Penang: If you like a licensed tour guide to show you around, get in touch with me and I'll arrange it for you. The fee is RM90 per hour. Payment for the first two hours collected upon booking.
- Hospitals in Penang: Penang is a major regional medical tourism destination. If you are planning to come here for therapy or treatment, find out about the various hospitals available.
- Penang Island Residential Property Guide: If you ever consider buying a residential property on Penang Island, read this guide before taking any action.
- Penang Visitor FAQ: Frequently asked questions of visitors planning their trip to Penang.
- Shopping malls of Penang: Penang has plenty of malls. Visitors often find that prices in Penang are often lower than back home. Get to know the malls in Penang.
- Ernest Zacharevic George Town Murals: The murals by a young Lithuanian artist, created for the 2012 George Town Festivals, has become the biggest tourist attraction in Penang. Get information and a full list of the murals that everybody loves to photograph!
Going somewhere? Whether you are travelling to Penang or from Penang or from somewhere else to somewhere else, you can now book your bus tickets online right here! Pay using credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express), Paypal, or even bank transfers!
Copyright © 2003-2014 Timothy Tye. All Rights Reserved.