Penang Forestry Museum, Teluk Bahang
Penang Forestry Museum, Teluk Bahang (22 May, 2005)
Penang Forestry Museum, or Muzium Perhutanan Pulau Pinang, is a museum that was set up to generate greater appreciation among the general public for the rainforest in Penang. Constructed in 1976 and first opened to the public in 1983, the museum covers a 700 sq meter site. It was constructed using various types of wood. The main exhibition hall is supported by the trunk of a single forest tree.
What to see or do
Penang Forestry Museum has exhibits showcasing the different types of wood and wood products. There are eight dioramas showing the different types of forest including the mangrove swamp forest, swamp forest, coastal hill forest, lowland dipterocarp forest, hill dipterocarp forest, upper hill dipterocarp forest, montane oak forest and montane ericaceous forest. The museum is really geared towards educating children and school students. Due to its proximity with the Batu Ferringhi tourist belt, it receives a small stream of tourists.
Penang Forestry Museum, main hall (22 May, 2005)
Museum Perhutanan Hutan Lipur Telok Bahang
Taman Rimba, Telok Bahang, 11050 Pulau Pinang
Tel: 604-885 2388
Telok Bahang Forest Ranger Office: 604-885 1280
State Forestry Department
Tingkat 20, Menara KOMTAR
Tel: 604-262 5272, 650 5250
Fax: 604-263 6335
Exhibits at the Penang Forestry Museum (22 May, 2005)
Timber industry diorama, Penang Forestry Museum (22 May, 2005)
Penang Forestry Museum is located about 2.2 km from the Teluk Bahang roundabout. From George Town, take the northern beach road through Batu Ferringhi until you reach the Teluk Bahang roundabout. Make a 9 o'clock turn to the left. You will reach the Teluk Bahang Forest Park (Taman Rimba Teluk Bahang) after passing the Penang Butterfly Farm on the left side of the road. The Penang Forestry Museum is located within the forest park. If you are taking public transport, Rapid Penang Bus 101 goes to Teluk Bahang Village. From there you need to change to Bus 501 that heads towards Balik Pulau. Take note that bus services is sporadic.
Every day except Friday: 9.00am to 5.00pm
Friday: 9.00am to 12.00noon, 2.45pm to 5.00pm
View Penang Forestry Museum in a larger map
Hello and welcome to my website, Penang Travel Tips, yay! As you would expect, the articles on this website don't write themselves. Well, they are all written by me, Timothy Tye, based on my research and exploration of Penang.
I created it to compile everything that I know about Penang and to share it all with you. I hope my website provides you the information you are looking for, and that you will enjoy browsing and reading it! If you found any errors, please let me know so that I can correct it. For all correspondences, click here to contact me. Thank you and have a nice day!
- Rapid Penang Bus Routes: This very useful page provides you all the information to take the public bus to visit any place in Penang.
- Arriving by plane: Essential information for independent travelers (those not following a tour package) on taking the bus or taxi upon arrival at Penang International Airport.
- Taking the Taxi: Taxi stands can be found at all major shopping malls. You can also call a taxi by phone. Get the details here.
- Personal Guided Tours of Penang: If you like a licensed tour guide to show you around, get in touch with me and I'll arrange it for you. The fee is RM90 per hour. Payment for the first two hours collected upon booking.
- Hospitals in Penang: Penang is a major regional medical tourism destination. If you are planning to come here for therapy or treatment, find out about the various hospitals available.
- Penang Island Residential Property Guide: If you ever consider buying a residential property on Penang Island, read this guide before taking any action.
- Penang Visitor FAQ: Frequently asked questions of visitors planning their trip to Penang.
- Shopping malls of Penang: Penang has plenty of malls. Visitors often find that prices in Penang are often lower than back home. Get to know the malls in Penang.
- Ernest Zacharevic George Town Murals: The murals by a young Lithuanian artist, created for the 2012 George Town Festivals, has become the biggest tourist attraction in Penang. Get information and a full list of the murals that everybody loves to photograph!
Going somewhere? Whether you are travelling to Penang or from Penang or from somewhere else to somewhere else, you can now book your bus tickets online right here! Pay using credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express), Paypal, or even bank transfers!
Copyright © 2003-2014 Timothy Tye. All Rights Reserved.