Seri Mutiara, George Town, Penang
Seri Mutiara, George Town, Penang (29 January, 2005)
Seri Mutiara is the official residence of the Yang Di-Pertuan Negeri, or governor, of Penang. It is located along Western Road, also called Jalan Utama, and overlooks the Polo Ground.
The history of Seri Mutiara goes back to 1888, when a decision was made to build the official residence of the Resident Councillor of Penang on the site in front of the Polo Ground. Until then, the British administrators had had their residences along the North Shore, which is where Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah is today.
Seri Mutiara (20 May, 2006)
Seri Mutiara was at that time known as the Residency. The architect who designed it was Major Sir Maurice Alexander Cameron, the deputy colonial engineer and Surveyor General of the Straits Settlements at that time. The building has a floor plan of the capital letter T, with an east and west wing, and an axis. Pilasters and columns decorate the ground and upper floor. The roofline is balustraded, thereby hiding the roof from view.
The stately Seri Mutiara was completed in 1890 and cost $48,000 Straits Dollars. Fittings and furnishing placed the total cost of the governor's residence at over $81,000. The first occupant of the Residency was A.M. Skinner, the sixth Resident Councillor of Penang. The grounds surrounding it is immaculately kept. It is also home to several very interesting trees, forming a mini botanic gardens which, unfortunately, is not open to the public. Among the trees here are the brazil nut, the elephant apple, the cannon-ball tree, nutmeg, Indian ebony, butterfruit, teak, and one of the three baobab trees in Penang. Why so many trees here? Well, because the Resident Councillor of Penang was also the Chairman of the Waterfall Gardens Committee.
The Residency served as the official residence of the highest ranking British colonial officer in Penang until Merdeka, when the stately mansion became the property of the state government, and home to the Penang governors. The first Governor of Penang to occupy it was Yang Amat Mulia Raja Tun Uda Raja Mohammad. Today, Seri Mutiara is the home of the Yang Di-Pertuan Negeri, or Head of State, of Penang.
Seri Mutiara (29 January, 2005)
Seri Mutiara is located along Jalan Utama, formerly Western Road, facing the Polo Ground. Rapid Penang Bus No. 304 pass here.
- Penang General Hospital
- Polo Ground
- Caring Society Complex
Seri Mutiara (20 May 2006)
View Seri Mutiara, George Town, Penang in a larger map
Hello and welcome to my website, Penang Travel Tips, yay! As you would expect, the articles on this website don't write themselves. Well, they are all written by me, Timothy Tye, based on my research and exploration of Penang.
I created it to compile everything that I know about Penang and to share it all with you. I hope my website provides you the information you are looking for, and that you will enjoy browsing and reading it! If you found any errors, please let me know so that I can correct it. For all correspondences, click here to contact me. Thank you and have a nice day!
- Rapid Penang Bus Routes: This very useful page provides you all the information to take the public bus to visit any place in Penang.
- Arriving by plane: Essential information for independent travelers (those not following a tour package) on taking the bus or taxi upon arrival at Penang International Airport.
- Taking the Taxi: Taxi stands can be found at all major shopping malls. You can also call a taxi by phone. Get the details here.
- Personal Guided Tours of Penang: If you like a licensed tour guide to show you around, get in touch with me and I'll arrange it for you. The fee is RM90 per hour. Payment for the first two hours collected upon booking.
- Hospitals in Penang: Penang is a major regional medical tourism destination. If you are planning to come here for therapy or treatment, find out about the various hospitals available.
- Penang Island Residential Property Guide: If you ever consider buying a residential property on Penang Island, read this guide before taking any action.
- Penang Visitor FAQ: Frequently asked questions of visitors planning their trip to Penang.
- Shopping malls of Penang: Penang has plenty of malls. Visitors often find that prices in Penang are often lower than back home. Get to know the malls in Penang.
- Ernest Zacharevic George Town Murals: The murals by a young Lithuanian artist, created for the 2012 George Town Festivals, has become the biggest tourist attraction in Penang. Get information and a full list of the murals that everybody loves to photograph!
Going somewhere? Whether you are travelling to Penang or from Penang or from somewhere else to somewhere else, you can now book your bus tickets online right here! Pay using credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express), Paypal, or even bank transfers!
Copyright © 2003-2014 Timothy Tye. All Rights Reserved.