For generations, the culture and history of the people speaking Penang Hokkien is often left unappreciated. It is only in the past decade that interest in local culture has been rejuvenated.
How does Penang Hokkien come about? Who are the people who speak it? Why and when did Penang Hokkien become the lingua franca of the Chinese of Penang? How does the system of romanization used in this course compare with other forms of Hokkien romanization? In this section are articles that provide you insights into the language.
- Arrivals of the Chinese in the Malay peninsula
- Missionary Dictionaries of Hokkien
- Where does Penang Hokkien come from?
- Do Penang Chinese remember where they come from?
- Chronological History of the Hokkiens in Penang
- Penang Hokkien words in English
- Creating a truly Penangite Language
- Introducing Learn Penang Hokkien
- Are you a Penang Baba Nyonya?
Background to the development of Learn Penang Hokkien
- About Penang Hokkien
- Why write Penang Hokkien in Romanised Form
- Tai3ji3 Romanisation System
- The Thought Process that went into developing the Tai3ji3 System
- Gatekeeper for Penang Hokkien: The issue of the methodology for permitting a word into the Penang Hokkien Dictionary.
- The Risk of Relying Only On Peh-oe-ji When Learning Penang Hokkien
Penang Hokkien Authors
- Cheah Cheng Seang
Cheah Cheng Seang is the author of the book Penang Hokkien (Minnan) Dialect. He serves as the supervisor for tourism and events at the Leong San Tong Khoo Kongsi.
- Raymond Kwok
Raymond Kwok is an expert on Baba Nyonya culture. He has written a number of books on Baba Nyonya and has also assembled Hokkien rhymes and ditties into books.
- Tan Choon Hoe
Tan Choon Hoe wrote the first book to teach Penang Hokkien in recent times, and in so doing is credited with reviving interest in learning the language.
- Are You Hokkien, with Marcus Chin and Huang Jinglun
Reference Material, Academic Papers and other resources related to Penang Hokkien
- English Min Nan Chinese Dictionary: http://glosbe.com/en/nan
- Lexilogus of the English, Malay and Chinese Languages (Malacca, 1841):
- Malay Lexicalized Items in Penang Peranakan Hokkien, an academic paper presented by Lim Beng Soon of the Regional Language Centre, Singapore, and Teoh Boon Seong, Singapore Management University:
- Words in Penang Hokkien:
- Written Hokkien (Wikipedia):
- Peh-oe-ji (Wikipedia):
- Min Nan (Wikipedia):
Now you can use the most user-friendly tool on the web to learn Penang Hokkien. It helps you to listen, understand and memorise. Go to Memrise
, and learn Penang Hokkien at your own pace.
Selected Books related to the Hokkien Language
List of Businesses in the Directory
- Taiwan Grammar: A Concise Reference
- Koxinga of Taiwan
- History of the Thai Chinese
Penang Travel Tips puts the Whole Wide World at Your Fingertips!
Penang Travel Tips
is not just about Penang, nor just about Malaysia - it's about the world wide world. It's my own treasure trove of travel information, for the benefit of anybody who might need it.
Our Special Feature on Penang Travel Tips this week is Kuala Lumpur Travel Tips
. Get to know Kuala Lumpur neighbourhood by neighbourhood through the map below.
Quick Links for the Busy Traveler
- Book Long Distance Bus Tickets in Malaysia and Singapore
- Find A Hotel Room
Advertise on this website
Yes, you can advertise your business on this website. You can put an ad on a specific page or across all the pages, so that readers of this website will discover your business. contact me here.
All About Me
Let me take a moment to thank you for visiting my website, Penang Travel Tips. Since I started it in 2003, it has grown to become the
online encyclopedia of Penang. My name is Timothy Tye
, and I am one of the few full-time web authors. This website Penang Travel Tips
describes not just Penang, but all the places I am curious about. You can find information on all the major cities in Malaysia
, all the countries in Asia
, the Americas
, indeed the whole the world
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to every corner of the world so that it reaches every person who needs. To get in touch with me, simply submit the contact form
. Thanks for visiting and don't forget to follow me on Facebook
My Social Media Presence
To interact with me, LIKE ME
on Faceboook, or my Penang Travel Tips FB Page
and Places To Go FB Page
, and join any/all of my Facebook Pages and Groups including Penang Travel Tips FB Group
, Exploring Malaysia
, Big World Out There
, My Little Bookshelf
, Learn Penang Hokkien
, Penang Street Art
, Penang Hawker Food
, Penang Restaurant Food
, Masa Masak
, Penang Residential Properties
and Armchair Traveler
Copyright © 2003-2017 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.