I want your visit to Penang to be a pleasant one. So it is necessary for me to inform and warm you of the Customs Prohibited Items
, that is to say, things which you are prohibited from bringing in to Malaysia, and into Penang. The consequence of bringing in (regarded here as trafficking) such items can be very severe, including the mandatory death sentence.
- The importation of narcotic drugs carries the death penalty. This includes addictive drugs such as morphine, heroin, cocaine, marijuana and ecstacy pills. If you are on medication that may contain traces of opioids, you should get your doctor's presciption and check with the Malaysian embassy before bringing it to Penang. I do not want to see you being caught, even if the substance is legally administered in your home country.
- Possession of fire arms also carries the death penalty. If you are thinking of bringing in hunting rifles and the like, check with the embassy first. Be sure you have a license for it, and that you can obtain one for your use of it in the country. By the way, you are also not allowed to bring in toys that look like firearms - so check your children's luggage, please.
- You need an import permit if you wish to bring in swords (I would wonder why you'd need to bring one).
- You may face a fine as well as confiscation of the material if you bring in pornography and obscene items. Please leave these at home.
- Pirated CDs, DVDs, VCDs will be confiscated if found, as will fireworks.
- The authorities are touchy over the use of the word "Allah" in non-Muslim religious literature. Avoid bringing in non-Muslim religious literature where God is mentioned as Allah, as they may be confiscated. There is at the moment a legal proceeding ongoing over this matter, so until the time comes that such material is allowed, please refrain from bringing them in.
Explore Malaysia with Penang Travel Tips
Penang Travel Tips is not just about Penang. You can get lots of useful information to explore the rest of Malaysia right here!
List of Businesses in the Directory
Penang Travel Tips puts the Whole Wide World at Your Fingertips!
Penang Travel Tips
is not just about Penang, nor just about Malaysia - it's about the world wide world. It's my own treasure trove of travel information, for the benefit of anybody who might need it.
Our Special Feature on Penang Travel Tips this week is Kuala Lumpur Travel Tips
. Get to know Kuala Lumpur neighbourhood by neighbourhood through the map below.
Quick Links for the Busy Traveler
- Book Long Distance Bus Tickets in Malaysia and Singapore
- Find A Hotel Room
Advertise on this website
Yes, you can advertise your business on this website. You can put an ad on a specific page or across all the pages, so that readers of this website will discover your business. contact me here.
All About Me
Let me take a moment to thank you for visiting my website, Penang Travel Tips. Since I started it in 2003, it has grown to become the
online encyclopedia of Penang. My name is Timothy Tye
, and I am one of the few full-time web authors. This website Penang Travel Tips
describes not just Penang, but all the places I am curious about. You can find information on all the major cities in Malaysia
, all the countries in Asia
, the Americas
, indeed the whole the world
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to every corner of the world so that it reaches every person who needs. To get in touch with me, simply submit the contact form
. Thanks for visiting and don't forget to follow me on Facebook
My Social Media Presence
To interact with me, LIKE ME
on Faceboook, or my Penang Travel Tips FB Page
and Places To Go FB Page
, and join any/all of my Facebook Pages and Groups including Penang Travel Tips FB Group
, Exploring Malaysia
, Big World Out There
, My Little Bookshelf
, Learn Penang Hokkien
, Penang Street Art
, Penang Hawker Food
, Penang Restaurant Food
, Masa Masak
, Penang Residential Properties
and Armchair Traveler
Copyright © 2003-2017 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.