"Children in a Boat" Mural, Chew Jetty
Children in a Boat is a mural painted on the wall of the stilt-house belong to my friend Chew Sie Pheng's family, in Chew Jetty, George Town. It was painted by London-trained Lithuanian artist Ernest Zacharevic in conjunction with the 2012 George Town Festival. The mural depicts two children, a boy and a girl, playing on a berthed sampan by the shore, with a pet cat.
Children in a Boat Mural, Chew Jetty, George Town, Penang (30 June, 2012)
House where mural was painted (30 June, 2012)
Below is the photograph that inspired the mural. Looking at it, I realize that the children are not locals (something which may have escaped the common visitor). It would have been better if a scene on any of the beaches in Penang is depicted.
The original photo that inspired the mural (30 June, 2012)
Let's Share Our Shot: "Children in a Boat"
Have you taken a photo of yourself with the Children in a Boat Mural? If so, please share with us your photo right here at the Penang Street Art Facebook Group! Let's discover and enjoy Penang Street Art together!
The Making of "Children in a Boat"
As part of the preparation for this mural, a overhanging platform was erected at the base for Zacharevic to stand on. The photograph is then projected onto the wall for the artist to trace over. The result is a mirror image to the actual shot. (See the work in progress in the Chew Jetty Facebook page)
Spectators to an artwork in progess - Ernest Zacharevic at Chew Jetty
Author: © Gabija Grusaite
Materializing art at Chew Jetty
Author: © Gabija Grusaite
View "Children in a Boat" Mural in a larger map
12 April, 2013: Less than a year after the "Children in a Boat" mural was completed, it had already peeled beyond recognition. Unfortunately the location above the waterline makes the mural extremely vulnerable to weathering.
Children in a Boat mural, weathered beyond recognition (12 April, 2013)
Penang Street Art Facebook GroupFor the latest on the street art in Penang, please join the Penang Street Art Facebook Group!
Going somewhere? Whether you are travelling to Penang or from Penang or from somewhere else to somewhere else, you can now book your bus tickets online right here! Pay using credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express), Paypal, or even bank transfers!
Hello and welcome to my website, Penang Travel Tips, yay! As you would expect, the articles on this website don't write themselves. Well, they are all written by me, Timothy Tye, based on my research and exploration of Penang.
I created it to compile everything that I know about Penang and to share it all with you. I hope my website provides you the information you are looking for, and that you will enjoy browsing and reading it! If you found any errors, please let me know so that I can correct it. For all correspondences, click here to contact me. Thank you and have a nice day!
- Rapid Penang Bus Routes: This very useful page provides you all the information to take the public bus to visit any place in Penang.
- Arriving by plane: Essential information for independent travelers (those not following a tour package) on taking the bus or taxi upon arrival at Penang International Airport.
- Taking the Taxi: Taxi stands can be found at all major shopping malls. You can also call a taxi by phone. Get the details here.
- Personal Guided Tours of Penang: If you like a licensed tour guide to show you around, get in touch with me and I'll arrange it for you. The fee is RM90 per hour. Payment for the first two hours collected upon booking.
- Hospitals in Penang: Penang is a major regional medical tourism destination. If you are planning to come here for therapy or treatment, find out about the various hospitals available.
- Penang Island Residential Property Guide: If you ever consider buying a residential property on Penang Island, read this guide before taking any action.
- Penang Visitor FAQ: Frequently asked questions of visitors planning their trip to Penang.
- Shopping malls of Penang: Penang has plenty of malls. Visitors often find that prices in Penang are often lower than back home. Get to know the malls in Penang.
- Ernest Zacharevic George Town Murals: The murals by a young Lithuanian artist, created for the 2012 George Town Festivals, has become the biggest tourist attraction in Penang. Get information and a full list of the murals that everybody loves to photograph!
Copyright © 2003-2015 Timothy Tye. All Rights Reserved.