It is a tradition for my wife to make bak chang. Over the years, she has quite perfected the skill, though because it is something she only makes once a year, the skill gets a bit rusty each time bak chang season comes around. This is my wife's bak chang recipe. She learns to make bak chang from her mother.
Ingredients for chang (29 May, 2014)
Ingredients for Bak Chang 材料
1. Glutinous rice - washed and soaked overnight, drained
2. Red bean - Cleaned, soaked and precooked until slightly tender
3. Dried chestnut - soaked overnight, cleaned and cooked until half done, drained
4. Dried mushroom - soaked and cleaned, squeezed dry
5. Dried shrimp - Cleaned
6. Pork belly - Cleaned and cut into 3/4 inch thick pieces
7. Salted egg yolk
8. Shallot - chopped finely
9. Garlic - chopped finely
1. Chang1 hoek1 (Dried bamboo leaves) - soaked overnight and cleaned.
2. Chang1 sok3 (Hemp strings) - soak until soft.
1. 粽叶 - 浸隔夜，清洗干净
2. 粽绳 - 浸至软
1. Five spice powder
4. Dark soya sauce
4. 老抽/ 黑酱油
1. Heat some oil in a wok, saute the chopped garlic until slightly brown, add in dried shrimp. Fry until fragrant, dish out and put side.
2. In the same wok, saute shallot and garlic until slightly brown, add in the pork belly. Stir-fry for a while before adding in dark soya sauce, salt, pepper and some five spice powder. Dish out and put aside.
3. In the same wok, add in some oil and saute some shallot and garlic, stir fry for a while before adding in the red beans and glutinous rice. Add in some dark soya sauce, salt, pepper and some five spice powder. Mix thoroughly, dish out and put aside.
4. To assemble the bak chang. Take two pieces of bamboo leaves, fold into cone shape. Spoon one tablespoon of glutinous rice into cone, top with one piece of pork belly, one piece of mushroom, one chestnut, some dried shrimps, and half of salted egg yolk. Top again with glutinous rice.
5. Wrap dumpling and secure with hemp string.
6. Put the finished bak chang into a deep pot of boiling water and boils for 3 -4 hours, rotating the bak chang half way into the boiling process. The water was earlier "seasoned" with some salt to prevent the saltiness of the bak chang from seeping out into the water.
7. Once cooked, dish out and hang to dry.
You can look for and book your hotel room direct from this website. Simply click here or use the search box below. You can filter the results based on your requirement, everything from five star hotels to homestays and more.
Look for a specific type of accommodation in Penang
Take a cruise on the SuperStar Libra from Penang's Swettenham Pier!- see video!
All about me
Thank you for visiting my travel encyclopedia. I started it in 2003, and today it has over twenty thousand pages, all written by me. My name is Timothy Tye, you can call me Tim. I am a full-time website author writing only my own website, to describe things and places I am curious about. To know more about me, go to www.timothytye.com I have been living at home writing my websites full time since 2007. I describe my alternative lifestyle in my Happy Jobless Guy website.
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News to people all over the world.