Shah Alam Travel Tips
(13 July, 2016)
Shah Alam Travel Tips
provides you the travel tips and information to plan your visit to the capital of Selangor. Shah Alam
(GPS: 3.07328, 101.51846) is a moderate-size city with a population of about half a million people. It is located straddling the districts of Petaling and Klang. The city is administered by the Shah Alam City Council (Majlis Bandaraya Shah Alam, MBSA), which looks after waste removal, town planning and building control, among others.
Location of sights in Shah Alam on the map
List of sights in Shah Alam
- IDCC Mall (GPS: 3.06603, 101.52745)
- SACC Mall (GPS: 3.07162, 101.51811)
- Setia City Mall (GPS: 3.10925, 101.46012)
- Shah Alam Convention Centre (GPS: 3.07008, 101.51851)
- Shah Alam Royale Theatre (GPS: 3.07473, 101.52333)
- Taman Botani Negara Shah Alam (GPS: 3.09541, 101.51143)
- Taman Tasik Shah Alam (GPS: 3.07291, 101.5139)
Categories of sights in Shah Alam
Taman Tasik Shah Alam
- Auditoriums in Shah Alam
- Chinese Restaurants in Shah Alam
- Convention Centres in Shah Alam
- Parks in Shah Alam
- Shopping Malls in Shah Alam
(29 December, 2006)
Night view of Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Mosque in Shah Alamhttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Sultan_Salahuddin_Abdul_Aziz_Mosque#/media/File:Shah_Alam_Blue_mosque_at_night.jpg
Ezry Abdul Rahman
About Shah Alam
Shah Alam is the first planned city in Malaysia after independence. It was established in 1978 to be the capital of Selangor, replacing Kuala Lumpur which was incorporated into the Federal Territory in 1974. The site of Shah Alam was formerly rubber and oil palm plantations known as Sungai Renggam. It was named by the then Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah after his late father Sultan Alam Shah. Shah Alam was granted city status on 10 October, 2000.
What's there to see or do in Shah Alam
Being quite a young city, Shah Alam has mostly man-made sights such as public buildings, mosques, and parks.
How to reach Shah Alam
Shah Alam is about 20 kilometers to the west of Kuala Lumpur on the Federal Highway. RapidKL has several buses between Kuala Lumpur and Shah Alam include U80 (Pasar Seni to UiTM Shah Alam) and U81 (Pasar Seni to Subang Suria).
Getting Around Shah Alam
It is best to drive in Shah Alam, as the place is quite sprawling. The main road, on which most of the sights are located, is Persiaran Sultan, accessed through Exit 401 (Darul Ehsan Interchange) on the Federal Highway.
Places of Interest in Shah Alam
- Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Mosque: The largest mosque in Malaysia and one of the largest in Southeast Asia.
- Shah Alam Lake Gardens: Public park built around a man-made lake.
- Dataran Bunga: Hibiscus park within the Shah Alam Lake Gardens.
- Dataran Kemerdekaan: Public square built in conjunction with the 43rd Merdeka celebrations held in Shah Alam in 2000.
- Dataran Shah Alam: Public square next to Wisma MBSA along Persiaran Sultan.
- Galeri Shah Alam: Art gallery at Persiaran Tasik exhibiting works by local and foreign artists.
- Kompleks Taman Seni Islam: A centre for enhancing the appreciation of Islamic art.
- Laman Budaya: Site where cultural events and performances are held.
- Shah Alam Go-Cart Circuit: Go-cart circuit located within the grounds of the Shah Alam Stadium in Section 13.
- Perpustakaan Raja Tun Uda: Main public library of Selangor.
- Darul Ehsan Aquatic Centre: Centre with Olympic-size swimming pool.
- Muzium Sultan Alam Shah: The biggest museum in Selangor
- Stadium Malawati: Indoor stadium accommodating 13,000 spectators.
- Section 28 Recreational Park: 4-hectare park which won the first prize in the 2002 National Level Landscape competition.
- Shah Alam Extreme Sports Park: Public recreational park for skateboarding, wall climbing, paint ball and the like, in Section 13 Shah Alam.
- Shah Alam Wetland Park: Public park with recreational facilities at Kota Kemuning, Section 31.
- Wet World Theme Park: Recreational theme park in Shah Alam.
- Shah Alam Stadium: The biggest stadium in Southeast Asia with a capacity of 80,000 spectators.
- Bukit SUK Recreational Forest: Public recreational forest in Section 5 Shah Alam.
- Kompleks PKNS: Exhibition and shopping venue within the Selangor State Development Authority building.
- Bukit Cahaya Seri Alam Agricultural Park: Located within the Bukit Cerakah Forest Reserve, on the northern part of Shah Alam, this is Malaysia's first agriculture park opened in 1986.
- High 5 Bread Town: The first bread museum in Malaysia, located at Section 21 of Shah Alam.
Explore and discover Selangor!
There's so much to explore and discover of Selangor. Pick another destination from the map below and continue exploring!
List of Businesses in the Directory
Penang Travel Tips puts the Whole Wide World at Your Fingertips!
Penang Travel Tips
is not just about Penang, nor just about Malaysia - it's about the world wide world. It's my own treasure trove of travel information, for the benefit of anybody who might need it.
Our Special Feature on Penang Travel Tips this week is Kuala Lumpur Travel Tips
. Get to know Kuala Lumpur neighbourhood by neighbourhood through the map below.
Quick Links for the Busy Traveler
- Book Long Distance Bus Tickets in Malaysia and Singapore
- Find A Hotel Room
Advertise on this website
Yes, you can advertise your business on this website. You can put an ad on a specific page or across all the pages, so that readers of this website will discover your business. contact me here.
All About Me
Let me take a moment to thank you for visiting my website, Penang Travel Tips. Since I started it in 2003, it has grown to become the
online encyclopedia of Penang. My name is Timothy Tye
, and I am one of the few full-time web authors. This website Penang Travel Tips
describes not just Penang, but all the places I am curious about. You can find information on all the major cities in Malaysia
, all the countries in Asia
, the Americas
, indeed the whole the world
As a Christian, I hope that through this website, I am able to deliver God's Good News
to every corner of the world so that it reaches every person who needs. To get in touch with me, simply submit the contact form
. Thanks for visiting and don't forget to follow me on Facebook
My Social Media Presence
To interact with me, LIKE ME
on Faceboook, or my Penang Travel Tips FB Page
and Places To Go FB Page
, and join any/all of my Facebook Pages and Groups including Penang Travel Tips FB Group
, Exploring Malaysia
, Big World Out There
, My Little Bookshelf
, Learn Penang Hokkien
, Penang Street Art
, Penang Hawker Food
, Penang Restaurant Food
, Masa Masak
, Penang Residential Properties
and Armchair Traveler
Copyright © 2003-2017 Timothy Tye
. All Rights Reserved.